Saturday 25 February 2017

Iceland Gull and Yellow-legged Gull - Swanshurst Park, Moseley


Really has been a fantastic month not only with the Waxwings round the corner from Swanshurst but also with the Iceland on Swanshurst and an added bonus with a Yellow-legged Gull :)
The Iceland Gull is still present as I write this, he has been there now about five weeks amazing to have such a stunning Gull locally, I have made quite a few visits can't resist him, Dave also came to see him but he gave us quite a wait and the weather was very dull but he came in giving nice views for Dave and he got some record shots but I still think there better than record shots lol
I have really struggled with this bird it's either to dull or to bright, strangely the Iceland Gull seems to love the sun he stays there more regular in the nicer weather but is always right in the sunlight which is very difficult with a white bird lol
After having just a fly by on one visit and no show on a couple of occasions the last time I went he spent the whole morning there again enjoying the sun rays, but I was very lucky that he flew on the fields and landed I quickly rushed round there the Iceland Gull seems quite relaxed with people but I knew if the other Gulls flew he would follow, so I took my time just taking small steps to get close then sat down took a few photos then shuffled to gradually get closer was totally worth the effort as I got my best shot so far, lighting still too bright but much better than on the water I was over the moon, love this Gull :) When he fly's it's like a ghost flying by, beautiful.











Also there was 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull which caused some controversy with people reporting it as a Caspian Gull but it really did not stand out as being a Caspian but there was lot's of people adamant that it was Caspian. Dave sent me on a mission to get a photo of the underwing this was easier said than done lol Took me over three hours but I got there in the end lol and the Underwing helped to confirm Yellow-legged Gull as it is two toned wheareas if it was Caspian it would be more completely white/lighter.
Tim Marlow goes into this in much detail and all the other differences in his blog he writes it so clear and easy to understand http://www.rainsbrooknaturalhistory.com/park-life/

















No comments:

Post a Comment