Sunday 29 May 2016

Great Reed Warbler - Paxton Pits


A great morning at Paxton Pits in Cambridgeshire for the Great Reed Warbler it had been there for awhile now and I had mentioned it a couple of times but it was a very elusive bird and also I struggle seeing them when there in reeds.
On Sunday we decided to go and give it ago I was very excited and just praying we would get to see it, we arrived and began the walk to the Great Reed Warbler I was thinking we would have to wait hours and hours to see him so when we got there and Dave said his singing then I heard him so much louder song than Reed Warbler, then a lady said I have in the scope if you would like to look, so I had a look and there he was singing his little heart out, he was amazing and my first words was he is big isn't he lol Dave then got him in my scope and had amazing views could see all the details on him, couldn't believe are luck to see him straightaway and have such beautiful views. Was too distant for any photos but I was over the moon and the Great Reed Warbler brought my life list up to 250 just amazing and all down to Dave :)
Below are a couple of Dave's photos of a Great Reed Warbler taken at Straw's Bridge NR,Ilkeston,Derbys 19/5/10.  

Great Reed Warbler by Dave Hutton a(Straw's Bridge NR,Ilkeston,Derbys 19/5/10)

Great Reed Warbler by Dave Hutton a(Straw's Bridge NR,Ilkeston,Derbys 19/5/10)

You can see straightaway how much bigger he looks compared to Reed Warbler also the bill is longer and thicker also they usually show a dark spot at tip of lower mandiable in Great Reed Warbler also a broader pale supercilium also slightly longer tail and longer primary projection with clear white tips to primaries.
They are similar in color to Reed Warbler but I thought he looked slightly more darker brown than Reed Warbler, there are other differences but for me what I noticed was much bigger, longer bill and thicker and the slight color difference.  

Big thank you to Dave for the use of the photos and also for taken me to see yet another great bird I love Warblers and this another stunning Warbler, very lucky to have seen him and have such wonderful views.   


No comments:

Post a Comment