Saturday 2 May 2015

Hudsonian Godwit Twitch and Reaching the Milestone


An Intense week, after not being able to see the Hudsonian Godwit last week we didn't think we would get another chance as it had gone by the next day, so when it came up on bird guides in the week that it was back, it was a shock and was just praying that a miracle would happen and it would stay for the weekend, each morning when I woke I checked to see if it had been reported, by Friday afternoon I was getting very excited for Saturday, but then Friday evening it said on Bird guides it had flown high just passed six clock which was earlier than usual so I feared the worse and thought it wouldn't come back.
We woke up on Saturday morning and decided to wait for news, we headed to Middleton Lakes, we were walking round when I had the alert come through at about 7.50 am that the Godwit was present, I read it twice before saying to Dave it's there babe :) Dave said come on let's go, seemed such along walk back to car, we set of and decided not to look at any more bird alerts until we were nearly there, checked just before and it said still present, walking along to where we could see the other twitchers felt like the longest nervy walk ever, then we were there bins up and there she was, Dave got it on his scope straightaway. couldn't believe we were actually looking at this amazing rare bird, very pretty bird with darker plumage and stood out from the other Godwits. Such a great experience to see this bird and was the biggest twitch I had been too so many people lined up with there scope.
Also saw are first Swifts of the year, and 2 bitterns one flying as we arrived in the Car park, and then we had one fly right passed us low you could see all the detail, my best views of Bittern and still my fav bird just love them, the detail on them and the eye amazing birds, we also saw loads of Hobby's which was also a Lifer for me, great experience to see so many.
I was now on 199 for my life list just one away from the big 200 :)
On the Sunday we went to Draycote it was very rainy but Dave said it's brilliant weather for dropping in Arctic Terns and Black Tern, we arrived and you could tell it was going to be a good morning loads of Yellow Wagtails and Hirundinidae activity.
Dave scanned all over and there was loads of Common Tern, then he said Black Tern, and put me onto it, lovely Tern I would say my fav so far, this was my 200 species, just can't believe it, when Dave first said he would get me to 200 by the end of the year I thought impossible, but he did and it's only May over the moon, and I love every single bird I have seen, I know Dave knows how thankful i'am but still can't stress enough how grateful i'am to him for getting me hear, I appreciate all the effort he has put in and all the miles he has driven to get me where i'am, love you babe :)
The Hudwit on Saturday was Distant and not good light so my photos are very blurry, as you can see even with the head down the Hudwit really stands out darker Plumage but just feel so lucky to have seen this bird always feel lucky to see every bird, but the Hudsonian Godwit may never come around again in my Lifetime hopefully it will though :)




No comments:

Post a Comment